There’s no better way to enjoy weed on the go than with a disposable vape pen. These little beauties are portable and discreet, but go the extra mile thanks to their affordability. While there are lots of reusable vaporizers out there, they all have their drawbacks, and nothing beats the simplicity and convenience factor of a good disposable. If you’re new to the idea and wondering how to use a disposable vape pen, we’re breaking down everything you need to know below.
Choosing the Right Disposable Vape Pen for You
With so many different brands out there, you’ll want to start by familiarizing yourself with the different types of disposables out there. Here’s how to choose the best disposable vape pen for your lifestyle.
1. Choose the Right Size
Disposable pens come in various sizes to support portability or longevity. You might want a compact pen if you want something small and discreet enough to tuck into a pocket or bag. On the other hand, all vape pens are pretty portable. Consider a larger pen if you’re looking for something with a bigger battery and more capacity for the concentrate.
2. Think about Concentrates
While the most common concentrate found in a disposable is CO2 oil, you can also find other concentrates:
- Distillate: Known for high potency and purity. However, this material is stripped of natural terpenes, so synthetic ones are usually added in for flavor.
- Live Resin: Highly potent. Preserves natural terpenes and flavors for an authentic, flavorful taste.
- CO2 Oil: Offers balanced and flavorful vapor.
Choosing a concentrate is ultimately up to personal preferences. Live resin tends to be more flavorful, but it costs more money. On the other hand, distillates are on the cheaper end, especially if the producer didn’t reintroduce terpenes. CO2 oils are usually priced in the middle since they offer a good mix of flavor and potency.
You should also consider the cannabinoids included in your vape pen. If you want to get high from your pen, look for any of these concentrates labeled for THC. Alternatively, if you don’t want to get high but still want to explore the potential therapeutic benefits of cannabis, opt for CBD pens. You can even find disposable vape pens with both THC and CBD, which offer a good mix of euphoric and therapeutic effects. I always recommend talking to your budtender to help you decide which concentrate and dominant cannabinoid is best for your tastes and preferences.
3. Consider the Cannabinoids
THC is the cannabinoid responsible for making you feel high. While CBD doesn’t make you high, studies suggest it offers a slurry of potentially therapeutic effects. In each disposable pen, you’ll usually find one or the other, or in some cases, a ratio of both. Choose higher THC for euphoria or higher CBD for a less intense high and potential physical relief. You can also opt for balanced CBD/THC ratios for a good mix of mind and body effects.
4. Check Additional Ingredients
Some disposable vape pens include added terpenes or flavors. This usually happens with distillate since those terpenes are stripped during extraction and added back later to help with flavor. Some lower-quality CO2 oils may also add terpenes or flavoring agents to make them taste better. You should always check a product’s Certificate of Analysis to rule out potential contaminants and check the cannabinoid and terpene content.
5. Read Reviews
Last but not least, you want to see what other people have to say about any pen you have in mind. Some disposables may look fantastic but have an inferior battery that leaves you with extra concentrates and no way to vape them. Alternatively, some may taste plain bad, fire incorrectly, or leak. Reading reviews will give you some insight into the quality, flavor, and effects of any prospective disposables, which will help you make a more informed decision.
How to Use a Disposable Vape Pen
Using a disposable vape pen is really easy in the grand scheme of things. They’re usually button activated or inhale-activated. Button-activated disposable vape pens require you to press a button to fire the pen and get your hit. Inhale (or draw) activated batteries are a little easier since all you have to do is inhale to get your hit. You don’t have to worry about any buttons or temperature settings. Below is a play-by-play guide to teach you how to use a disposable vape pen.
- Unpack the Pen: Start by removing the disposable vape pen from its packaging. Disposables are pre-charged and ready to use from the get-go.
- Remove the Cap: If your vape pen has a cap covering the mouthpiece, remove it.
- Activate: Most disposable vape pens are draw-activated, meaning they are activated when you inhale from the mouthpiece. Take a slow and steady puff, allowing the device to heat the concentrate and produce vapor. If your disposable is button activated, press and hold the button as you inhale from the mouthpiece.
- Enjoy the Vapor: Once activated, your pen will produce vapor that you can inhale. Start with small puffs to gauge your tolerance and enjoy the flavors.
- Dispose of Properly: When the vape pen is empty, or the battery is depleted, it’s time to dispose of it responsibly. Most batteries contain lithium-ion batteries, which shouldn’t be thrown in the garbage. Follow local regulations for proper disposal.
Parts of a Disposable Vape Pen
Pretty straightforward, right? Sure! However, there’s a lot of technology behind that simple process. Let’s check out the anatomy of your disposable vape pen and learn about how everything works.
The mouthpiece is the top section of the vape pen where you inhale the vapor into your mouth and lungs. It’s designed for comfortable and ergonomic use, so it might be round or tapered.
The atomizer is the heating element responsible for vaporizing the concentrates. It contains a coil that heats up when the battery is activated. As the coil heats, it vaporizes the liquid, creating the vapor you inhale.
The battery provides the power needed to activate the atomizer. In disposable vape pens, the battery is usually integrated into the pen’s body. When you inhale from the mouthpiece or press the button, the battery is triggered, sending power to the atomizer.
The cartridge or chamber holds the cannabis concentrate or oil that will be vaporized. It’s typically located beneath the mouthpiece and above the atomizer. The cartridge is pre-filled and sealed in disposable vape pens so that the liquid remains fresh until you start using it.
The wick, often made from cotton, absorbs the liquid from the cartridge and delivers it to the atomizer’s coil. The heated coil vaporizes the liquid absorbed by the wick, creating the vapor you inhale.
When you hit your disposable vape, you activate the atomizer by inhaling from the mouthpiece or pressing the button. The coil in the atomizer gets energy from the battery and causes it to heat up, which vaporizes the concentrate from the chamber through the wick. From there, you just inhale and exhale. Since disposables are designed to be highly user-friendly, they don’t require assembly or maintenance. You just use them until they die or you vaporize all of the concentrates in the chamber.
Tips for Best Usage of Disposable Vape Pens
To get the most out of your disposable vape pen, follow these tips:
- Take short, gentle puffs instead of aggressive, long draws. Remember, disposables are made for sipping, not ripping— so hit them with slow, controlled breaths for best results. Hitting them gently prevents overheating, which preserves your concentrate integrity and battery life.
- While disposable vape pens are designed to regulate temperature, excessively long or frequent draws might cause them to get hot. A hot vape is sad since it can toast your terpenes and cannabinoids. Aim to take a few seconds between puffs to avoid overheating.
- If you’re new to vaping or have a low tolerance, don’t forget to start low and go slow. Choose disposable vape pens with lower THC concentrations and wait a while between sessions.
- Store your disposable vape pen upright when you’re not using it. Too much time in a drawer can dry out your wick and make it hard to get a good hit. Further, upright storage helps to prevent leaks.
- Keep your disposable vape pen in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Extreme heat or cold can affect the device’s performance and compromise the quality of the vapor.
- Some disposable vape pens might twist open little holes at the top or bottom, allowing you to adjust airflow. More airflow can help you get more flavorful hits, while reduced airflow can help you get bigger hits.
- Don’t forget to drink water. Weed makes people thirsty, and vaping can lead to mild dehydration. Keep some water or juice on hand to minimize dry mouth and throat irritation.
- Sometimes your disposable might die before you get all of your oil vaporized. Tough luck! It happens. On the other hand, you might vape all of your concentrates before the battery dies. While that’s pretty lucky, never try to refill a disposable. You might damage the seal or the atomizer, which can lead to leaks and make them dangerous. When they’re dead one way or the other, throw them out.
- Take some tolerance breaks from your vape pen once in a while. Dabbing, smoking, or eating edibles once in a while makes it easier to still feel your desired effects without running through a ton of disposables in a week.
- Once the cartridge is empty or the battery is spent, dispose of your vape correctly. Many vape pens contain lithium-ion batteries, so help protect the environment by recycling them or following the proper disposal instructions in your area.
How to Store Your Disposable Vape Pen
When you’re not using your vape, store it upright in a cool, dry place away from sunlight to make sure you get the most out of it in the future. If you’re taking it on the go, upright in a purse or pocket is just fine. Just take care to avoid exposing the pen to extreme temperatures or direct sunlight since that can damage the battery and your concentrates.
How to Dispose of a Vape Pen
The rules for getting rid of a disposable vape pen are different everywhere. The batteries in these devices can be huge fire hazards when mishandled. More importantly, vape bodies aren’t recyclable and pose a lot of danger to the environment. The best course of action is to take your spent disposables to a household recycling center. If you’re not sure where to go, a quick Google search should pull up some resources in your area.
There you have it! Now that you know how to use disposable vape pens, you can get out there and start enjoying them. Disposable vape pens offer an easy and convenient way to enjoy vaping without the complexity of traditional reusable vapes or other methods, like dabbing. By following these guidelines for selecting, using, storing, and disposing of these vape pens, you can get the most out of your flavors with portability and convenience.